TITLE: EXP. Sewing Machine Operator (SMO)
POSTING DATE: 01/18/17
POSTING DEADLINE: Until Filled
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
Hours: Mon – Thurs: 6:00am-5:00pm
Operate sewing or non-sewing machine or other manual tools to join, gather, hem, reinforce, mark or decorate articles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Average efficiency must be at 100%.
2. Place spool of thread on spindle of machine and draws thread through machine guides, tensions and eye of needle.
3. Insert bobbin into shuttle and draws thread through slot in shuttle or draws thread through guide and loop eye.
4. Press knee lever, depress pedal or move hand lever to raise presser foot or spread feed cups.
5. Position parts to be joined under presser foot and needle and lowers presser foot.
6. Start, stop and control speed of machine with pedal or knee lever.
7. Guide parts under needle following edges, seams, guides on machine bed or markings on part.
8. Observe stitching to detect defects and notifies supervisor or sewing machine mechanic when defects are caused by machine malfunction.
9. Select sewing supplies such as binding, braid, cord, piping, tape, thread or welt according to specifications or color of material.
10. Cut excess thread or material.
11. Must follow all machine safety rules.
12. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
13. Perform other duties as required or requested, to include non-sewing or manual work such as marking, pick and turn, and trim and inspect.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed on the job analysis are representative of the skill, and/or ability required.
Education: High School diploma or GED preferred, but not required.
Experience: One to two years of industrial sewing in a manufacturing setting.
Specific Skills: Good mechanical aptitude to be able to make the machine adjustments.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.: None required.
Other Skills and Abilities: None.
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit/stand for longer than eight hours of time. Frequently sits bends, kneels, twist and turn and reaches out with hands/arms. Must be able to lift/move up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.